Jorge Luis Colón twitter logo-blue box facebook logo-blue
personal injury

If you own a vehicle in Florida and you have insurance, you should have PIP insurance. At a minimum, Florida law requires that you carry $10,000 of (PIP) insurance and a minimum of $10,000 of property damage liability insurance. However, you will have to check your policy to see what your deductible is. Under Florida law, you may have a deductible of up to $2,000 for PIP coverage and $500 for Property Damage Liability.

What does PIP Cover?

Personal injury protection (PIP) insurance covers you regardless of whether you cause an accident (are "at-fault") -- up to $10,000 minus your deductible amount. PIP is designed to reduce the necessity of suing for reimbursement of medical and related bills from auto accidents. PIP pays:

  • 80 percent of reasonable medical expenses related to the accident

  • 60 percent of lost wages as a result of the accident

  • $5,000 for death benefits

Call today to get your

FREE consultation

and discover what your options are.  


Personal Injury Protection (PIP)


Will PIP cover family members?

For accidents that happen in Florida, PIP covers you, relatives who live in your home, certain passengers who do not own a vehicle, and others who drive your car with your permission. Pedestrians and bicyclists are also covered if they are Florida residents. PIP coverage also provides coverage for acts of violence against the policyholder while driving including injuries sustained as a result of road rage or a car-jacking.


For accidents that happen outside Florida but inside the U.S. or Canada, PIP covers you and relatives who live in your home. In this case, you must be driving your own vehicle. Persons other than you or your relatives are not covered.


Property Damage Liability Insurance pays for damage you, or members of your family, cause to another person’s property while driving. The term "property" includes, for example, a fence, telephone pole or building, as well as another car.


Coverage applies even if you drive someone else's car. Depending on the terms and conditions of

your policy, it may also include anyone else who uses your car with your permission. Call 352-351-1650 today to schedule your free consultation or complete the contact form.